Monday, August 6, 2012

Could You Be a Vegetarian?

The older I get the harder it is to keep the pounds at bay.  I feel like I'm constantly exercising but it just isn't enough any more.  About a year or two ago I finally surrendered to the fact that food choices also have to play a role in fitness, so slowly but constantly I strive to eat better/healthier.

This year, I was pondering the vegetarian life style and I realized I don't even know enough vegetarian recipes to last a week.  What would you eat for seven days?  You shouldn't just lean on breads, but as much as I love fruits that can't be all one eats......so as an experiment I signed up for the vegetarian meal plan at www.fresh20.com

At the start of each week Fresh20 emails me a grocery list of 20 fresh ingredients (they use very few canned or processed foods) for five vegetarian meals.  I spend about $20-$30 on the ingredients, but the recipes are for a family of four, so really one weeks groceries last me about two weeks. I've been using their system for a few months now (not every week, but some) and it is so much fun, I'm discovering new foods, cooking with ingredients I've always loved but never cooked with before, and I feel like I'm eatting a much more well rounded diet than I ever had before!

I've made homemade pesto sauce, stuffed mushrooms, polenta (I didn't even know what a polenta was before the fresh20)...one week I made my own black bean veggie burgers...as I said, it's so much fun!

The only down side is that these meal plans are getting created each week by the fresh20 team, so while you have variety and excitement, you also have typo's and confusing instructions from time to time....It helps that I already know how to cook, so I can say "no way, that can't be right..."  We're all human, I can forgive the typos, it just makes me sad when I make a wrong meal, because normally I would write notes in my cookbook and make the meal right the next time, but with their system I don't know if I'd remember if I see the same recipe a second time...

Another issue I had to overcome: it seems like each week one out of the five meals is a little too adventurous for me. This week it was Ginger Bok Choy and Tofu.  I'll admit I don't even know what ginger bok choy and tofu would taste like, but it just doesn't sound good. In the past, I would buy the ingredients for the meal with the intention of 'expanding my horizons', but then come up with every excuse possible to not make that meal, leaving all those precious ingredients to spoil in my fridge...I've learned it is better to stick with my first impressions, if the meal doesn't sound good, don't buy the ingredients, and don't plan on making it.

I think the Fresh 20 system was worth every penny.  It would be an awesome gift for foodie, someone going vegetarian, or someone striving to cook at home every night.  

1 comment:

  1. Meatetarian all the way. I'm way too picky of an eater to be that adventurous but it sounds like you're having fun with it though.

    ReplyDelete