Saturday, August 11, 2012

Seeking to Create an Heirloom

For years I have written in cookbooks, saved the links to all my favorite recipes online, and shoved random torn out pages from magazines into my desk....I've been lucky, I've lost very few recipes along the way.

One was an amazing five layer mint brownie I found online...it was famous in my friend circle, absolutely everyone loved it, but one day I discovered the website was taken down. From time to time I still click on the link hoping it will be there again, but alas it never is, and lets be honest, it never will be again.

Another recipe was one I cooked for a boyfriend ten years ago (good memory right?)...the right occasion came up, I remembered this recipe was a smashing success the last time I made it...but one problem, the recipe was in a magazine ten years ago. I searched online with no luck, dug through all my random stacks of paper, looked in all my folders...then luck hit, I actually found a shopping list for that recipe from ten years ago...searched the internet and was able to figure out which magazine printed it...and bam! still had the freaking magazine on my bookshelf.  (I promise I don't keep everything, but I was very grateful I kept this one)...however, fast forward another year or two...I don't have the slightest clue where that recipe went!

So I've decided, I want to get a three ring binder and print ALL of my most loved recipes on acid free paper and put them in one place.  So when I get tired of my most recent collection of recipes, I can flip through the book and be guaranteed to love any recipe out of that book.

I want this book to become an heirloom, so I want it to be a cool book.  I'd even be willing to pay for a leather bound three ring binder, if I could find one that looked right....but unfortunately I couldn't find ANYTHING....until I stumbled upon www.zazzle.com

Way back in the day I remember seeing this site. You or anyone else can create their own online store on Zazzle.  Your or they design tee-shirts, coffee mugs, THREE RING BINDERS....and if someone else finds it and likes it, they can buy it. Zazzle will custom make it and ship it to the buyer, and the "artist" gets a cut of the profits.

There are thousands of three ring binders. I'm overwhelmed by all the choices.  Do I stick with a classic?  Monogrammed?  Something wacky, and so ugly it's charming?   I've been looking for a couple days now and I've narrowed it down to eight choices, but I love them all, I'm not sure which would be my perfect heirloom book.

Here's what I've got so far:
I'm kind of leaning towards the middle row. Blair's favorite is the top right, which I love too, but I just don't know. Anyone out there got an opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment