Friday, September 7, 2012

Baked Kale Chips?





So I've heard a lot of rumors lately of how awesome baked kale chips are. They are easy to make, healthy, and a great substitute for potato chips.

I'm not really a potato chip fan, but my boyfriend is a serious snacker and veggie hater, so I instantly fell in love with the idea of a 'green chip.'  How great would that be to replace the worst food on the planet with the best food on the planet?!?!?

All you have to do is pick up some fresh kale from the grocery store, wash it, dry it, tear it into bite size pieces, drizzle a little olive oil and salt...then bake 10-15 minutes, and presto...magic green chips!

However, these magic green chips are super fragile, and if you chew them long enough, I swear the kale will rehydrate itself and BAM bitter veggie taste. Not so yummy.

Needless to say my boyfriend did not swoon at the new food option.  He did eat them and I think he'd eat them again, maybe, but they are no potato chip...and I waited a few days to see if maybe they are something that gets better with time, but they don't get better...they get stale and chewy really quick, they almost taste like kale flavored gum, and I swear the kale smell gets worse over time.

Sounds like a great snack right?  Do not be fooled!  This is not a green potato chip!  I mean it's 'fun,' it's different....maybe if I had an afternoon tea group I would serve a bowl of dried kale along with some other munchies like pitta and hummus...but I would never bring baked kale to a potluck meal for fear I would be dubbed the insane woman who brought health food (gasp).

No comments:

Post a Comment