Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Best of the Best

I’m a little food-centric, I’ll admit that….but some of the things I love seem to be greater than just good by opinion…. And lately I’ve been discovering I’m right.  Kansas City has quite a few award winning/highly respected restaurants and foods.

For example, I remember the day Shatto milk hit the shelves.  Shatto is a milk farm that was on the brink of foreclosure. The owner went to a local library and spoke with the librarian about needing help.  She directed him to a marketing company that advised him to rebrand his milk, to stop selling it to the big guys like Highland.  By cutting out the big company, the milk would hit the shelves quicker, meaning it would be fresher.  They advised that he shold put it in glass bottles, so it lasts longer, and is free from that sour taste the plastic bottles leach into milk, and really sell the point that he's a local farmer, with no additives in his milk.

His milk is expensive (about twice the price as the generic stuff), but first day I tried it I was hooked…. It tasted soooo good I actually wanted to drink milk...though shortly after I feel in love with Shatto I did the rational thing and switched back to the generic cheaper brands.

A few years later, now working at a job that affords me a little bit more spending cash, I stumbled upon Shatto milk again….everything tastes better when you use Shatto milk, and I noticed a difference in my health, as well as with my cycle (sorry for sharing)… but as I discovered in hindsight, generic milk brands pump their cows full of hormones to produce more milk…well apparently as a female those hormones effected me too…which I think is a much better excuse to buy the good stuff.

I love Shatto milk so much that I’m actually a fan of theirs on facebook.  (I’m dying to go on the farm tour.)  But as a facebook fan, I was there when they announced that they just won SECOND best white milk in the WORLD. (They also won fist and second place with their flavored milks – Root beer, which sounds gross but it really is amazing, and their strawberry milk)

In other words, they aren’t just good, they’re amazing…which makes me revel just a little bit, because when I tried their milk I wasn’t in search of the worlds best, or second best milk...and in no way would I have ever expected to notice “really good milk,” but man, its obvious…which just serves as a reminder, absolutely anything can be done to the level of fine art.

Here's their website if you wanna cyberstalk: http://shattomilk.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment