Wednesday, September 22, 2010

French Macaroons

I read an article in the paper that boasted French Macaroons as the new "it" dessert.  In their bold claims they stated that the French macaroon is going to replace the cupcake craze.

Of course what this article was really saying was I MUST have a French macaroon (not to be mistaken with the American coconut macaroon).

The article suggested two places to find these new wonders:
1.  Natasha's Mulberry and Motts http://natashasmulberryandmott.com/
2.  Bloom Bakery http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2010/05/bloom_is_thriving_at_the_city.php

Natasha's is off in a strange corner of Kansas City, far way from my daily path, though I am quite fond of them.  Bloom was much closer, but I heard rumors that they were an organic bakery which made me suspicious.... I want my first experience of the new "it" dessert to be the best of the best, no matter if it call for eggs, bacon fat, or any other baking evil.

So I called Natasha's as soon as I had a day off of work only to be informed that they had sold out of most everything in their bakery already!  (I have a tendency to sleep in late, so I'm not that lucky early bird who's catching the worm)....second attempt by the time I arrived they only had one left on the platter - a lemon macaroon.  I will admit, I wasn't thrilled by the idea of lemon, but after driving thirty minutes with the mission to have macaroons I bought that last little cookie...and it blew me away.  It's kind of like a whoopee pie dipped in a soft shelled icing...It was so fresh, colorful, and full of delicate flavor....

This began my new macaroon hunt.... This weekend I picked up some Key Lime Macaroons, and the last Orange Sherbert Macarron from Bloom.  They were a light icy green color... I bough several, so I could share with my friends.  But unfortunately, I went to a restaurant for lunch right after my purchase, and forgot the box of cookies on the table as I left....about 10 minutes later I discovered my error and went back to the restaurant, but it was too late, they had thrown away my pastry box..... who does that?!?  I really liked that restaurant, but I have to say, now I have my reservations about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment