Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Tale of Pomegranate Love


On one of the first dates with my boyfriend I brought a pomegranate over to his apartment and we spent about a half hour painstakingly opening the fruit, and smashing the seeds to turn them into juice. (Red juice splattered everywhere.)  The next time we met he brought a ‘gift’ for me…a home made pomegranate smasher that he made at work during his spare time.  I think from this moment forward we both had a soft spot in our hearts for pomegranates…We watched documentaries about them, learned how to open them correctly (chop off the top and bottom, then open them under water…it’s sooooo much easier that way), we carried two enormous pomegranates home on a plane after vacationing in California only a couple hours away from the POM vineyards, and fell into a habit of buying a jumbo bottle of POM juice at Costco almost every week - it’s expensive, but we’re splitting the cost, so I try to tell myself it’s not so bad, and every time one of us questions it, the other one says “I’d rather pay for good health now as opposed to bad health later.”  “Your right, it tastes good and it makes me healthier”…but lately we stumbled into making our healthy splurge not so healthy anymore… we discovered that it tastes fantastic mixed with sprite or 7up.

My family was a huge bread family, and I always assumed my life would be a tale intertwined with stories of bread, but with Blair and I it’s a tale of pomegranates, which is very fitting for us - quirky but sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment