Thursday, October 7, 2010

Box Natzi

There's this freaking adorable cupcake shop near the plaza that I'm in love with called Cupcake A La Mode (http://cupcakealamode.com/) ...The store is awesomely decorated in black and a dark hot pink, with black chandeliers.  It's very chic. The cupcakes are equally decorated....for example here’s a description of the "gold digger" cupcake from their website: "A Chocolate cupcake filled with gooey caramel and topped with our rich chocolate buttercream, rolled in crushed pecan pieces and drizzled with more caramel."  All the cupcakes are like that, they're decked to the nines, making it feel like a special treat...which is amazingly attainable for $3.  And if you order a cupcake to go they put it in a hot pick square box with a cellophane window cut out of the top so you can peek at your beautiful cupcake....

Recently I decided to buy a cupcake for a friend and of course I wanted one for me too...which meant I need multiple boxes (because lets be honest, I'm going to eat my cupcake the minute I walk out of the store, and i'd rather not hand over a box to a friend that appears to be half empty)... but when I asked for separate boxes I learned they are weird with their boxes.

If you by a cupcake to go they will fold up a box, place your cupcake in and add a sticker as a seal, no questions asked... but a couple trips ago, after paying for my cupcakes I saw they had a special box that was sized for two cupcakes, which as I mentioned before, I was planning on eating mine pretty quickly and was planning on giving the other one away a few hours later... so I asked if she could box them separately.... I received a very cold look from the clerk who explained to me as calmly as she could, "usually we charge an extra 50 cents per box to do that, since you already paid I'll do it for you this time no charge, but next time you need to tell me before you pay."

I felt bad, I wasn't trying to save 50 cents.... though I don't get the logic, I don't get a discount for ordering two cupcakes, if my friend was there with me she would have paid separately and both cupcakes would have been boxed individually... but since I'm only using one credit card I'd have to pay extra for the same amount?

So I saved my box, thinking next time I'll just bring my box with me....well the next time more people wanted in on the cupcake action... so when I went back I didn't take my box with me, this time I surrendered to the idea that they will all be in one box.

I went up to the counter and told the woman "I think I need six cupcakes, I want...." and after naming five cupcakes I realized I had miscounted... but the lady behind the counter was panicked "no you only have five, you need one more". "Um, no, thats the end of my list.  Sorry, I miscounted."  Again I received a cold look (from a different clerk than last time) as she pulled out a different sized box, carefully unpacked my other box and put them in the 5 cupcake sized box! (Little does she know I went home and reboxed one of them for my roommate in that spare box I had saved, and ate one of them myself....then transferred the other three in the 5 cupcake box to the friends at work).  But don’t tell the cupcake ladies this, I don’t want to get black listed!  I had no clue they have an appropriate box for any amount of cupcakes you could possibly want… and their cupcakes are absolutely amazing, but I'm a little disturbed by the boxing rules... I guess when your product is that yummy you are allowed a little room for excentricities.

No comments:

Post a Comment