Sunday, October 24, 2010

BB's bbq

I finally made it out to BB’s bbq….if you haven’t been, it is the “it” spot to go for live jazz/blues music, out on Troost and
85th street
.  I learned about the restaurant years ago when the public radio station would air the live music from BB’s on Sunday evenings…the sound as you can imagine was just horrible, but that kind of added to the charm of the blues.

The restaurant itself has a nice picnic feel to it, with long communal tables in the center, booths on the sides and a bar in back.  They’ve also got a nice sized deck out front, which I’m sure is great for smokers, but even as a non-smoker we found the patio to be the perfect balance to be able to hear the music, but also talk to each other.  I was shocked for a Saturday night the place was only half filled…but I think Sunday is the “big night,” even though there is live music every night.

The cover charge was $5 (very reasonable) and the food prices were equally reasonable.  I really wanted to try the cajun wrap “An flour tortilla packed with Jambalaya and Gumbo, smothered in mozzarella cheese and topped with sour cream and chives”  but figured I have to try the bbq, since that’s what they’re known for.

I got a pulked pork sandwich, which was very very mild.  You could taste the smoked favor but it wasn’t at all spicy…I covered it with the unlabeled bottle of bbq sauce on the table, which was also very mild, and slightly sweet.   The guy I went with had the smoked Italian sausage, which had much more of a bite to it, and quite a thick encasement.  What stood out to me was their fries…. Or rather battered and fried potato wedges… each plate had three wedges (which almost amounted to an entire potato)…I wouldn’t say they were good or bad, just different, though I kept expecting them to taste like chicken since they looked like fried chicken fingers.

I know everyone loves Oklahoma Joe’s, but to me this place had much better food, and a much better menu…some spicy, some mild, and a much more interesting variety…not to mention there’s live music!

No comments:

Post a Comment