Friday, October 15, 2010

Indian Food Part II

Korma Sutra, the Indian restaurant I was talking about in my last post has two locations.

One in Overland Park, which is the original restaurant, and the one in Westport is the second store.  Both have their own personality....I like the Westport one because it's more spacious, and I feel like it's more populated, so the food is constantly getting refreshed on the buffet.

The one in Overland Park is smaller and more intimate.  They make your mango lassie and your chi tea specifically for you, they also keep and eye on what you’re eating and give you samples of other foods they think you might like.

This sounds good in theory, but a few months ago I went to the Overland Park restaurant with the intentions of just sitting with a friend who wanted to eat lunch there.... this greatly upset the people who ran the restaurant (probably the owners of the restaurant).... they couldn't let it go.  I’m guessing they thought I was just afraid of Indian food, because I kept telling them over and over "I've already had lunch, I love this restaurant, but I'm too full to eat"... but every few minutes they kept bringing me food.

Fresh hot naan right out of the oven, personally delivered into my hands by the owner who was nervously grinning "you eat this, it's bread, it's good....you need substance for shopping"....small dishes of food from the buffet..."you eat this, then when you go shopping you will feel strong"..."no no, you drink mango lassie too, on the house, it's good for you...you like yes?"

They even sent me home with a foil pack of food...never before have I ever been sent home with buffet food, and beyond that never before have I been sent home with food when I didn't even order anything.

Of course I had to tip, they were so gracious, so I pretty much paid the same amount that the buffet would have cost in, but as a tip...and now I know, telling them I'm not eating is enough to unhinge them... their food is great, I love their restaurant, and sadistically it was almost fun to watch them try to win me over...but since I love them so, I think next time I will put their minds at ease and order a bowl of soup or something small off their menu instead of break their hearts with the words “I’m not eating”

1 comment: